Latest news: sign up for our new webinar with Dr. Robert J. Hanish on the development of a US Research Data Framework.
Introducing the STM 2020 Research Data Year
Regardless of the field of study, sharing data is one of the most fundamental aspects of maintaining the integrity of research. The availability of research data plays a vital role in ensuring reproducibility and the ongoing development of Open Science (also known as Open Scholarship or Open Research). There is thus an increasing need to ensure the availability, discoverability and re-usability of research data for all stakeholders working across scholarly communications.
STM has declared 2020 the ‘STM Research Data Year’ and is working with publishers and other partners to boost effective sharing of research data:
- SHARE: Increase the number of journals with data policies and articles with Data Availability Statements (DAS)
- LINK: Increase the number of journals that deposit the data links to the SCHOLIX framework
- CITE: Increase the citations to datasets along the Joint Declaration of Data Citation Principles
To kick off our activities, we have convened a group of ‘active participant’ publishers who will report their progress towards these three key goals.
Activities for 2020 include:
- Sharing best practices and creating collateral making it easy for publishers to accelerate research data implementations.
- Organizing meetings (e.g. workshops, webinars), allowing publishers to exchange experiences, tips and lessons learned
- Working with individual publishers, including on-site visits supporting implementation efforts
We are basing our activities on evidence-led, community driven outputs such as:
- The Research Data Alliance Data Policy Standardisation and Implementation Interest Group Journal Data Policy Framework
- The Center for Open Science Transparency and Openness Promotion (TOP) Guidelines
- The FAIRsharing.org co-curated database of standards, policies and databases
- The FORCE11.org/NIH BioCADDIE Data Citation Roadmap for Scientific Publishers
This website will include a dashboard which will show progress on the SHARE-LINK-CITE goals.